Sunday, May 20, 2007

Breakfast is served

Growing up, I was always an Eggs Benedict devotee. It was the weekend staple, if I could get my hands on it, and it was a great aid in helping me put on 15 pounds at the end of my college senior year. For that reason, and the advice of my chef friend John (*never* eat the hollandaise at a restaurant), I've retired the vice.

But sometimes I still crave yolky poached eggs, stacked with other yumminess for breks.

And so I concocted this:

It's simple, savory and still somewhat slim-friendly. With this fresh alternative to ye olde Benedict in my arsenal, I can proudly say, I've never looked back. And frankly, now the old saucy version makes me feel heave-ish.

This has yet to be named, propah, but it's known around the house as "Eggs Jamie."

This recipe should feed 2 hungry humans.

arugula, (weather willing, we'll be picking it soon)
1/2 red onion, sliced into rings
4 slices prosciutto
1/2 c. parmagiano reggiano, shaved into sheets using potato peeler
4 eggy weggs
Couple fingersful of capers
1/4 c. quality balsamic vinegar
4 whole grain english muffins
Sel du mer or any coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper

So first, I slice my onion into thin rings and carmelize them in balsamic vinegar. Put both into a small skillet on medium heat and once they start sizzling, turn the heat down a bit and let the vinegar reduce til it's a thick syrup coating the onions. You'll need to give them the occasional nudge, but you don't have to stir consistently. The goal here is to cook the onions til they're soft, not soggy, and nicely coated in a thick balsamic jus. Once you've achieved this, scoot them into a small bowl off to the side. Now tear your prosciutto into thick strips and add them to the pan. You want to crisp the stuff up a bit, but not so much that it gets tough, You're probably looking at a few minutes, tops. While the pig is crisping up, toast your muffins and make long, smooth sheets of the parmegiano by shaving it with a potato peeler. By the time you're done with those tasks, your prosciutto will be ready to relax on some paper towels nearby.

Now, to poach the eggs. I have to be honest and tell you, not everyone can do this skillfully. I still employ my husband, when he's nearby, to handle this task. For whatever reason, his huevos always emerge looking more artful than mine. I won't give you the poaching lesson here as there are plenty of good references online. Use them.

Now while your eggs are bathing, toss the arugula in a few drizzles of olive oil, balsamic, salt & pepper to taste and capers. Once the greens are well-coated and tasting good, toss in your cheese and prosciutto.

To present the dish, start with your two toasted muffins, as you would a traditional Benedict, then layer the dressed salad, the eggs, and top with the carmelized onions. And honeys, you're going to thank me for this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home