Thursday, January 25, 2007

Misery loves company. And meatloaf.

I'm sick again. This cold/flu/plague just keeps flaring up and keeping me at home with a sniffly, sneezy, snotty head. But who wants to read about that on a food blog? I'll spare you any more unsavory adjectives and focus on the fun part of being sick: comfort food. In today's case, I'm thinking of that homey old favorite, meatloaf. I only got the notion to make it a few moments ago, and it's actually in the oven as I type. That shows you just how quick and easy it is. And it's just the thing to comfort me in my time of dying. Well OK, I'm not actually dying, but I am listening to that song right now. You know, "In my Time of Dying" by Led Zeppelin. If you don't, shame on you for not memorizing every song on Physical Graffiti. I mean, come on people. Rock 'n' roll 101.

Anyway, despite my hearty appetite for big, crunchy rock stomps, I didn't feel much like eating today. Instead, I just drank hot honey lemon water until I couldn't take it any more. Of course the temptation to add whiskey and turn it into a toddy occured more than once, but that's probably how I got sick in the first place. From the devil's juice. As you may recall, the acupuncturist says I have an angry liver. And we all know how that happens.

So, since now the liver AND the respiratory system are angry at me, I decided to make nice with the stomach. You know, just so someone's still on my side. So I searched the cabinets for some alluring edibles that wouldn't require me to brave the cold... and lucky for me, I stumbled across all the makings of what promises to be a lovely loaf of meat.

Best of all, it will be relatively healthy. In the sense that it abides the liver-cleansing diet I've been attempting. For some reason lean meat and eggs are ok on this liver-friendly plan, which sounds kooky to me, but who am I to argue? I'm sparing the ornery organ bread, dairy, wine and all the other good stuff, so what's a little protein between (estranged) friends?

And with that:

Simple meatloaf. To my liver, with love.

2.5 pounds lean ground turkey
3 eggs
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 c. worchestershire
1/2 c. chopped Italian parsley
1/2 c. whole grain rolled oats
1 cup tomato sauce (I used a simple organic heirloom tomato sauce)
Cooking spray (or something to grease pan)
Bread pan (apprix 9"x4")
Sea salt
Coarsely ground pepper

OK, ready for this? The genius of this dish is how easy it was to make.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray bread pan with cooking oil.
3. Beat eggs with worchestershire, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. In larger bowl, mix meat, onion, parsley, oats and egg mixture.
5. Form meat mixture into bread pan.
6. Spread tomato sauce on top.
7. Bake for an hour fifteen to an hour and a half (make sure center's cooked thru)
8. Enjoy!

As Rachael Ray says, yum-o! Just kidding. Don't ever say what she says. Or do what she does. And by that, I mean creating noxious concoctions like superbowl snackaroos of the canned chili & easy cheese variety. If you want easy, sleazy food, come find this meatloaf recipe. It ain't soigne**, but at least it isn't themed around a tv sporting event.

**Extra credit for any reader who knows what other annoying TV chef insists on referring to his/her dishes as "soigne" on a regular basis. Saying it once was obnoxious. Saying it twice was slap-worthy. First correct answer in the comments section wins.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

It must be going around in Mill Valley. I caught a cold this week and made meatloaf too! I also used turkey hamburger and mine was infused with ginger and organic mixed vegetables. Still sniffing, but feel better now.

9:16 AM  
Blogger alison mcquade said...

What a great idea - meatloaf......good old fashioned comfort food!

Feel better jamie....glad you're back and writing more regularly - love you writing style!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home