Thursday, November 23, 2006

On this day, November 23, in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Six

Thanksgiving always makes me nostalgic. All holidays do, I guess. But this one especially reminds me of my youth, so I'm always compelled to revisit things that take me back. That always means watching The Macy's Day Parade and today it also meant listening to The Police's entire oeuvre while I was cooking. Well, that's not entirely true; I started with Regatta de Blanc rather than Outlandos D'amour. Even though I appreciate their early punky flair, that first album is too raucous for cooking accompaniment. Anyway, there's nothing like Sting, Stew and Andy to take me right back to 12. I had discovered music by 8, but 12 was the year that saw me become obsessed with vinyl, plaster my walls with rock portraits and just generally sell my soul for rock 'n roll.

So anyway, a little music from back in the day is the best way I know to throw myself into Thanksgiving reverie. That, and making a list of everything I'm thankful for. So here goes.

I'm thankful for my lovely husband, who's sweet and thoughtful and even tells me I'm hot when I'm sick or wearing a showercap.

I'm thankful for my parents, who excelled at acheiving that perfect parental balance of unconditional love and stern discipline.

I'm thankful for my sisters and their husbands who always liven up the holidays with their stories and competitive croquet spirit and well-picked wine.

I'm thankful for my little niece Emma who just discovered Queen and loves to rock out, big arena anthem-style.

I'm thankful for my Irish in-laws who pretty much defy the laws of what in-laws are supposed to be.

I'm thankful for my girlfriends who are generous, hilarious and always dressed impeccably.

I'm thankful for my puppers Ruby who now has a happy life and will never know abuse again.

I'm thankful for my health.

And of course, I'm thankful, for cheese.

There's a lot more, of course, but the pressure's on to get over the river and through the hills to Graham-brother's house.

Happy thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home