Friday, July 20, 2007

Say hello to my leetle fren

Cheeselings, meet the spiral slicer. I know it looks like one of those wacky contraptions you see on the Home Shopping Channel that’s too gimmicky to purchase, but I am here today to sing the praises of this little blade runner.

I’ll cut right to the chase (cut, get it? hyuk hyuk). Plain and simple: it’s bikini season. And come the summer months, many of my favorite food groups are a highway to the danger zone (apologies to Kenny Loggins). See, when the weather gets warm and the sun is shining, I’d like to be frolicking on the sand and splashing in the surf. But I’m too busy cursing the pasta people (who I suspect are in cahoots with the tankini inventors).

Enter the spiral slicer. This little baby makes vermicelli and capellini style strands out of raw veggies like zucchini. And believe it or not, when dressed with a gingery soba sauce or a fresh pesto, THE STUFF TASTES LIKE PASTA! I mean, if I really, really concentrate, of course it’s not the real thing, but it’s pretty amazing how textures and shapes can fool your mouth into thinking you’re enjoying a carbtastic treat, when really it’s raw veggie stuff.

I discovered this wonder tool over at the bro-and sis-in-laws’ place, and I can tell you, it’s going to be a summer staple. When I perfect the soba, I’ll share the recipe and you can try it for yourself.

And no, I’m not off pasta for good. Heaven forfend! Just cutting down on carby pleasures so I can be a beach bunny, not a beach bum. (Get it, bum?) Clearly, all this sun is going to my head. I’ll sign off now and resume healthful living.

2 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love your "little fren". Where can a person be "be-frended" and get such a contraption???

4:55 AM  
Blogger jamie said...

How silly of me not to include that important info. You can buy them at Sur La Table or online, in the store at alissacohen.com. Happy slicing!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home